To kick off the Barcelona Health Innovation Week, Biocat presented the 2022 BioRegion Report, a benchmark study that analyses the life sciences and healthcare sector in Catalonia.
In particular, the report demonstrates that Catalonia has been able to buck the macroeconomic trends and uncertainties to raise record levels of investment for innovation, particularly start ups.
While much of this was driven by large funding rounds, Inveniam has also played a key role in supporting several of these startups to take their first steps to close seed rounds and win crucial public funding. The report specifically mentions several of our clients, including Loop dx, Roka Foradada, Integra Therapuetics, Gate2Brain, InBrain, Timeisbrain, Goodgut and Miwendo; and some of our previous clients such as Neos.
The main takeaways of the report include:
- The life sciences and healthcare sector make up 8.7% of the Catalan GDP.
- Investment in Catalan based startups and scaleups raised €445 million in total funding during 2022, up from €238 million in 2021.
- The BioRegion has become a priority destination for clinical trials. It is ranked sixth in Europe and ninth in the global raking.
- Competitive grants are the second source of funding behind private capital (12% of the total), with 2022 seeing an all-time high of €53 million.
- Catalonia stands fifth in terms of number of publications per capita and first in Highly Cited Papers. The BioRegion is also in the European top 5 for Horizon funding per capita, demonstrating the quality of the research and Catalonia’s noteworthy role in the biomedical arena.
At Inveniam, we are happy to have provided guidance and support to several of the start-ups listed in the report, and to have helped them in their development journey. As the report recognizes, global circumstances will make 2023 a challenging year to navigate, but at Inveniam we will continue to support life science innovation to reach the market and improve patient’s lives, through private fundraising, strategic consulting and public funding.
For more details on the 2022 Bioregion report please visit: https://www.biocat.cat/en/press-releases/record-funding-health-startups-based-catalonia-eu445-investment